Posted by: Bron | 2011-10-30

Skin scarring (stretchmarks) Striae

Hi doc, I have a18 year old daughter who is coveredd in Striae. She has not gained weight rapidly but is a bit over weight. However, girls who are far more over weight than her, do not have these stretchmarks. we took her to two GP''s who have advised that it is striae, but are not sure how to treat it. It has travelled from all around her waist up to her breasts, armpits, legs, thighs and are moving to her ankles. They stay pruple in colour and we tried all sorts of creams Regima, stretchmark creams for pregantn women etc. The doctor says her underlying layer of skin is weak and it is a disorder. However they are not sure how to treat it. Any ideas? She says the tearing of the skin is very painful and is continually spreading.

It is possible that your daughter suffers from Marfan Syndrome, which is a genetic disorder affecting the connective tissue. I suggest that you ask your doctor to test her for this syndrome. Unfortunately, there is no treatment for this disorder but you can consult a plastic surgeon for possible treatment options for the excessive stretchmarks.

It is very important to have her tested, as it can also affect her eyes, lungs, skeleton, central nervous system and heart.

Good luck and please provide me with feedback.