Our expert says:
Hi Seshego, thank you for the question.
This is a difficult question to answer over the net as ideally one would like to examine the skin and take an adequate history (especially your skin regime) before deciding on the best treatment approach.
Typically, oily skin is caused by the following factors:
1. Enlarged pores or increased number of pores producing excessive sebum (natural oil produced by the skin)
2. Skin regime: excessive rubbing/washing or granular exfoliation can change the natural skin balance causing increased oil production
3. Hormonal changes
4. Genetic factors
Following from this the treatment will depend on the cause to a large extent:
1. Enlarged pores: topical products that contain alphahydroxy acids (such as glycolic acid) accompanied by regular glycolic acid peels (every 4 to 6 weeks)
2. Skin regime: gentle twice daily washing with warm water and avoiding all e3xfoliating type products
3. Hormonal changes: best to see your family doctor
4. Genetic factors: treatment approach similar to points 1 & 2
Ultimately, your best choice is to consult with a dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner who can examine the skin and advise you on the best treatment approach.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.