Question

Skin peels

Hi i wonder if u can help me, i have been hearing lots of people going for skin peels and dermabrasion, i heard some1 say that for Indian skins its not good cos if u do go out in the sun u get sun burnt and makes yr skin blotchy.
Is this true? i have some acne scarring and pigmentation. I would like to try the peels but am a bit scared.
Pls help!

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Anonymous, thank you for the question.

You are 100% correct in questioning the safety of skin peels for darker skin types. One needs to be cautious when using these treatment options but in experienced hands and with the use of a SPF 50 or higher containing zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and practicing sun avoidance as much as possible you should be safe from developing any unwanted side effects. NeoStrata Glycolic acid peels have been tested on all skin types and are considered to be safe to use all year round but I would still be cautious in the height of summer. Acne scarring may require other treatment modalities and Syneron’s new fractional radio frequency technology has been shown to be safe to use in dark skin types.