Question
Posted by: Jack | 2010/12/20

Skin peeling under foot

I played soccer for 45 minutes wearing a soccer boot with studs and falke running socks playing on a grass surface.I ended up with skin patches pealing off from underneath by big toes and 1 patch on the inside of my foot.I never play soccer but I''m an active athlete and run and cycle at least 3 times a week.I don''t have this problem with running, why is this the case now?Is it the soccer boots which aren''t tight fillting I might add or the socks that are too thin?What measures can be taken to prevent recoccurence?

Hi Jack

Just different pressure points caused by the studs, and that pressure means friction, which means heat and skin problems. It's fairly common, when switching shoes. And soccer boots are particularly problematic - much of the technology in boots these days is aimed at distributing stud pressure more equally across the foot, but it still can cause problems.

The shoe is also a different shape - much narrower in the toe region, and also the arch is narrow, and that combined with running, changing direction, puts a lot of "strain" on the skin, compared to running, where you go in a straight line.

Your skin would adapt to this, but probably you need to back off, not do 45 minutes right off the bat - start with 15 minutes, then 25, then 30, 35 and then 45 minutes. The skin would become resistant to this kind of peeling.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/12/21

Hi Jack

Reply to fitnessdoc