Posted by: Jana | 2008-12-22

Skin peeling off fingertips.

Hi there,

Every 9 months or so my skin peels off my fingertips and it carries on for about a month and then goes away. It starts with little air pockets and then they open up and peel off. It gets extremely painful at time especially when I peel them off and they start bleeding. I' ve used bacterial and fungal creams (bactroban, lamisal, repair and many others), but absolutely nothing takes it away... it goes away in its own time. Do you have a diagnosis for this and PLEASE tell me what I can do for it to go away.

Thank you :).

Hallo Jana
Yes - it is called Keratolysis and the wrongest thing you can do is to pull off the skin - it happens because the skin does not mature properly - can be caused by irritants or stress or in some cases it is hereditary. Try a cortisone cream and a barrier cream like Fissan paste on your fingers - (Fissan is oily so you will have to rub it in and wait a while to absorb) if this happens. Avoid any abrasive chemicals including dishwashing soap, washing powder etc by using plastic gloves.

Posted by: M | 2008-12-22

Ek sit met dieselfde probleem het ook al alles probeer en is raadop voel vir my dit is erger in die somer en my voete maak dieselfde. My hande is so seer ek kan aan niks vat nie, so as iemand raad het sal dit baie waardeer word

Reply to M