Posted by: Awkward | 2009-01-09

Skin issues

Hi doc,
Since going off the pill a year ago my skin has gone a bit crazy. It used to be clear, but now I get pimples on my back, buttocks and face. As if this is not bad enough, the non-oily parts of my face are dry and flaky. I' ve been using Skinoren Gel and Garnier Oil control moisturiser on my face, as well as following a regular cleansing routine with a Rooibos face wash. I also eat a healty diet and drink lots of water. What else can I do? And how do I got rid of the spots on my body?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi ‘Awkward’, thank you for the question and my apologies for the long delay with my answer.

Your best option would be to consult a dermatologist who can examine the skin and advise you on the best treatment options. For severe acne a good topical regime should be followed (consisting of oil free products including one’s makeup and sun protection) in combination with one of the following:
Medically prescribed antibiotics, Androcur or Roaccutane
Omnilux: photodynamic therapy using LED lights