Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/11/01

skin infection

at my place of work my boss has a cat that has such bad skin problems it is aweful. He has taken the cat to the vets who have given hims some meds as they say he is depressed. The cat has lost all of his hair and has big scaly patches on his skin, sometimes he gets big weeping puss filled sores on his body that bleed as well, and has convulsions so that he falls off of furniture and splits the skin on his face so that he is bleeding. I think that it is terrible that his vet is happy to leave this situation as it is and not suggest putting the cat down, he also loses all bladder control when he has these seazures.I have suggested to him that he sees another vet as the cat now only sits in a corner and will not let anyone touch him, he looks so uncomfortable and sad.

my dog has now developed a few little sores on her skin and a dandruff looking skin problem as well, i took her to the vet and she is now on antibiotics to treat the problem, as well as a low allergy diet. is there any possibility of a connection between this cat at work and my dog' s skin problem? I am worried that i might be bringing germs home from work that are a problem to my two litttle dogs.

Dear Anon

The best person to ask is the vet who actually had a look at the skin.

4
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/11/03

Get the dog checked out by another vet. My puppy was in contact with a cat like that aswell and got ringworms from it, looked the same as your description.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/11/02

It' s hideous I know ! We spoke recently and he seems to have realised that his cat needs to be put down, if only for the cats own comfort. Unfortunately I am out of SA for a period actually so I think I need to find the local equivalent to the SPCA, it' s aweful to see this everyday at work. Thankfully his best friend has also been applying some pressure so he has mentioned the idea to me, but I think the part that is slowing down the decision making process on his part is that his vet seems to not actually tell him it' s time to put him down, just that he' s a depressed cat !!! and he no doubt trusts his vet ! I think it must be hard to be objective in this instance. But you are 100% correct

Posted by: Cybervet | 2009/11/02

Dear Anon

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2009/11/01

If it' s really as bad as this, do me a favour - phone the SPCA secretly and get them to come and have a look. Someone who allows an animal to exist in this condition, without further treatment or investigation, should not own pets.

Reply to Chill