Question
Posted by: bernie | 2012/03/05

skin disease

HI Doc
My neighbour has a JR and a JR X DASCHUND. The one started with an itch and has scratched himself so badly that the has sores. I noticed that there is fungus? almost looks like mould all over his body. The other one has also now started scratching badly and I have noticed that this black mould like fungus is all over his body as well. Where the fungus is on the ears, the hair has fallen out. They do not want to take the dogs to the vet as they say that this is caused by fleas. What can this be and what can they do about it.

Hi Bernie

It is difficult to say what the issue is without having a visual appraisal of the problem. I could by all means be a flea/fungal problem but you cannot interfere unless the animals are suffering. If you are concerned about the animals welfare then you can contact a welfare organization and the organization will come and inspect the animals. If they identify that there is cruelty then they will discuss the matter with the owner.

Kind regards
Angus Campbell

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/03/13

Hi Bernie

Kind regards
Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: STEPH | 2012/03/07

whether this is caused by fleas or not, there is clearly a rproblem!!!! can you not arrange a visit from the spca?? these dogs need treatment as an inflammatory process started by a flea bite reaction could well turn septic, i cannot imagine the discomfort or pain that these dogs are suffering at this time :(

Reply to STEPH