Posted by: Madie | 2009-08-20

Skin discouloring

Dr, I' m a 39 yr old female....I noticed some discouloration in my skin, just under my jaw, where it meets the ear...both sides, it almost looks like light brown pigmentation. I' m not on any hormone treatment, the only meds I' m on is Xyzal, Nasonex and some multivits and Iron(prescribed for low Iron levels). Do you have any idea what could be causing this or am I just getting old? I generaly have a good skin, haven' t changed make up or cleansers....

Hallo Madie
It could be melasma - it often also happens on the areas where you apply perfume (due to the alcohol in perfume). It can also be caused by thyroid problems. Please see a dermatologist for treatment as the wrong treatment can cause more scarring. Superficial chemical peels and bleaching agents as well as tretinoin is used.