Question
Posted by: Shelly | 2010/04/02

Skin condition for dog nothing helps

My friend has a small house dog that has a very itchty skin condition that is driving the dog insane. She has been to several vets and they prescribe cortozone which does not really help, some say it is a type of exzema. His skin is very red and itchy and then forms little yellow scabs that dry after time and drop off. She has tried changing the food, cutting his hair short bathing him in baby shampoo tried many different creams to try and help this poor dog. He rubs his tummy on the carpet till it is blood red just to try and get rid of the itch.

Dear Shelly

Try dipping the dog for sarcoptic mange once a week for 5 weeks with Ectodex.

6
Posted by: Vanessa | 2013/04/01

Our Jack was extremely itchy , and noticed that foods containing chicken made things worse. He is now on Max Health made from Fish and things are a lot better

Reply to Vanessa
Posted by: Ralph Maine | 2010/04/14

I tried dipping the dog with Ectodex &  it helps. It kills off the mites that inhabit the dermis &  stops the laying of eggs. Spong bathe with Ectodex every five days &  dip once a month after the condition clears.

Reply to Ralph Maine

Try milking cream. You should be able to get it at most pharmacies.

Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/04/09

Dear Shelly

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: steph | 2010/04/05

my dogs battled with skin problems for YEARS. most vets prescribed steroids as well as this is often the most commonly prescribed treatment and as such yields good results. Having said that i just found it made the problem worse. in the end i went to a homeo vet and have not had one day of trouble since then. if you live in the durban area look up jane fraser, she is great! if you''re not in the durban area, just give her a ring and she can refer you to another homeo vet. as an aside i should add that she did practice normal vet meds but now practices homeopathy. good luck!

Reply to steph
Posted by: Dave | 2010/04/03

Also had a similar problem with dog, especially tummy area.
Tried numerous things/foods.
Think I found the answer by using Purina One chicken and rice dog food. Since switching to this brand and only giving cow hoofs as chews no more itching and rash break outs. Its expensive but well worth the money.Hope this helps doggy.

Reply to Dave