Question
Posted by: Jogger | 2010/09/14

Skin breakouts from jogging?

Hi Ross/ Kathy

I jog 2 times per week usually and I''m noticing that whenever I jog it seems to cause my skin to break out. I don''t know if this is really possible, but I think it may be linked to sweating or perhaps my pores when I am running? It definitely has a direct link, as I stopped one week and then when I resumed the following week my skin broke out (small pimples on chin and around forehead) the day after I ran. This has happened more than 10 times now. I have tried to prevent it by washing my face and washing off any makeup etc before I jog, so as to clear my pores, but nothing seems to help.

Have you heard of this before? I love to jog but these constant skin breakouts are quite annoying and don''t look great. I have always had great skin with very little problems in the past, but I love jogging and would love to get this problem solved.

It's probably related to either circulation or sweating, yes. Or blocked pores that are then affected by sweat. I must confess I haven't heard of it before - perhaps there is a special face-wash that might help, as opposed to just normal washing (which I'm assuming you're doing), before and after running. I suspect it's afterwards that is more important, but as I say, I'm guessing a little. This is more likely a dermatology question, with exercise the catalyst. Hopefully that does help and you can keep running!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/09/20

Reply to fitnessdoc