Posted by: Sonia | 2011-12-20

Skin allergy in american pitbull

Hi , I am desperately trying to find a veterinarian who specializes in animal dermatology in Gauteng. I live in Johannesburg, and my American Pitbull is 7 years old and has always suffered with mild allergic rashes, which we treated with creams and antihistamines. These are no longer working and her skin has worsened to the extent that she now has massive blood blisters which affect her walking because of how painful they are. It’ s also affecting her immune system and impacting on her muscle tone. Her local vet has recently placed her on a course of steroids to develop her muscles again and instructed us to feed her puppy food only, which we have.
I’ ve seen mild improvements but I still feel that we are not treating the root cause of the problem, which will result in re-occurrence of the same symptoms. I’ m tired of seeing the sad look on her face and her constant scratching.
I want to have her tested to see what allergen is affecting her, and then we can eliminate the exposure she has to it, so that she can enjoy the rest of the life she has as a happy dog, and best friend. & #61516 

Hi Sonia

Sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Pitbulls are prone to skin problems be that seasonal allergies and / or changes in skin growth etc. Diagnostic tests need to be conducted to identify what the underlying factors are and then hopefully formulate a treatment protocol to resolve the dermatological condition. Diagnostic tests may include a skin scrape, bacterial/fungal skin culture, skin biopsy and histopathology, allergy testing etc. My best advice is to ask your vet to refer you to a veterinary dermatologist.

Please remember that different treatment protocols may be used to see what is best suited to resolve/control this problem.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Posted by: Karen | 2012-01-23

Hi Sonia, My pitty also has skin irritations, and it can be a reaction to her food. Although expensive, the best diet to feed her is rice and boiled chicken breast. My vet told me that it is often the proteins and preservatives added to dry dog food which can cause the reaction. I have also quit smoking as that too is a contributing factor.. Hope this helps.

Reply to Karen