Question
Posted by: Cleo | 2008/08/28

Skin allergies

My 5 year old staffie cross bullie has an awful skin complaint on her tum. I have taken her to the vet on numerous occasions, after an injection, couple of tabs the problem goes away only to come back later. The vet has put it down to allergy to the grass, food, stress, ok I changed her food so its not that, allergy to the grass, well bar from digging up the lawn, can' t sort this one out, stress could be that our Sharpei is a bit of a madam and Cleo is a very quiet, calm dog. I can' t afford to go to the vet every time so what I am doing now is giving her an antihistamine tab every other day and treating the area with quortersone cream, but when its bad she also licks her paw raw. Any suggestions further - Jane

Dear Cleo

Use high doses of antihistamines and give the dog Mirracote every day for the rest of his life. This takes a while to work but reduces the allergic response. Most of the good food have a sensitive skin formula as well, use it.

5
Posted by: Steph | 2009/04/12

Hi, I have recently moved to England and been here for a month and within the past week I started to get small red like hives with a white dot (dry skin) in the middle, they are about 5c big and tend to be symmetrical. My fiance and I are temporarily living with family on a futon, however she has none of these symptoms.

Reply to Steph
Posted by: Sea View | 2008/08/28

I have a Labrador with the same problem. In winter the problem appears to be less and reappears in summer. We feed her Royal Canin Skin Support. In addition we give her Allergex antihistamin and a mild cortisone when the itching really gets bad. I would love for somebody to come up with a more permanent solution. When she licks her legs or paws too much this gets covered with bandage overnight to prevent the licking. I love the LAb very much, but treating the problem takes lots of dedication

Reply to Sea View
Posted by: Jane | 2008/08/28

Not sure about Staffies, but my sharpeis also suffer from skin allergies. I had a labrador with bad skini also. I have tried the fancy specialised foods - to no avail and they are very expensive. The allergies are very often caused by fleas. Make sure you get the dogs flea free. I know vets treat with cortesone for the allergies, but I don' t think a dog should live on cortesone..... I also used to bathe my shar pei with rooibos tea - sounds crazy but it worked... Good luck.

Reply to Jane
Posted by: Try This | 2008/08/28

I had the same or similiar problem with my sharpei, time after time going to vet, then they wanted to send blood samples to the USA where they manufacture meds specific for the animal, but costs thousands, I then changed her food to the Hills Presciption Diet Ultra Allergine Free ZD and it works well for her, might give it a go, but also when feeding her this, dont give any junk food like meat, cheese, left overs etc etc, defeats purpose of the food you are giving her, as treats I give her Hills Treats.

Reply to Try This
Posted by: d | 2008/08/28

some dogs are allergic to ticks and vlooie. give her a good bath and dip her. mabe it helps

Reply to d