Question
Posted by: Help Please | 2010/10/25

Skin

Good Day Doc,

I have realised that i have a problem long time ago and only got a name for it today and found out that i am not the only one and that it is a problem.

I am a excessive skin picker! How can i stop myself from doing this when it happens so automatically. I have a skin condition called Keratosis Pilaris on my arms, Hope you know what that is, but i cant seem to stop picking at it and by picking i am just making it worse, i do this picking especially if i am bored and when i see it is very bad i try and fix it but whith worse outcome. I will scratch off scabs even if i know it is going to bleed non stop or even if it is sore.
Please help me I need to stop doing this

thank you

This condition seems to turn up in this forum about once a year. A good assessment by a good local psychiatrist should help. And a combioned approach would work best. A dermatologist to help with the best management of the skin condition, to control it so far as possible, and reduce the itchiness or irritability of the skin. The a psychiatrist to help, with medication such as meds also used to treat depression, than can reduce the compulsive element of this, as can CBT style counselling / psychotherapy. And a basic approach of avoiding the sort of situations in which you find you usually feel bored and start picking. Seriously, wearing gloves or mittens which make it hard to cratch, and bandaging the wounds and scabs, all help - because though you can of course take the gloves off and remove the bandages, this takes time and a deliberate decision, and they do prevent you from geting into a good scratch before you seriously think about what you're doing.

2
Posted by: just a thought | 2010/10/25

if you do this when u r bored, as you state, why not do something about the boredom?

Reply to just a thought