Posted by: Liza | 2009-07-15

Skeleton out of the closet.

My bosses found out that I was functionally ' fired'  from my previous job. I didn' t even include that job in my resume since it ended so badly. I had a very bad personality clash with my manager there, plus my bipolar was completely uncontrolled and the psychiatrist I had at the time just kept on prescribing more Rivotril and Etomine which turned me into a zombie and made the situation 100x worse. It was so bad that I physically could no longer work. I would sit at my desk and not remember the date, time of day and how I got there even though I drove myself. Then 2 months of sick leave and they gave me a small package if I left without making trouble. Which I did. Unfortunately I had only been with the company for a couple of months and was still in the waiting period and did not qualify for disability.

Now the directors and senior managers know about this. And they heard it from the previous company so they do not know my side of the story. My manager has advised me to just ignore it and let my work speak for itself. He said that neither he nor our branch manager have a problem with something that happened such a long time ago and has no bearing on my current work.

I' m currently VERY relieved to have it out in the open and that it has not changed the view that my managers have of me. My manager was actually incredulous when he told me that he had heard some things about me from the prev company that weren' t very complimentary since my current standard of work is high and he is very happy with me.

I' m also very glad that it came out later rather than sooner. Gave me time to get a good reputation with my current company. I' m just anxious that it will somehow affect my career prospects. How do I make sure that the directors know of all the positive work I' ve been doing? I love working here and don' t want anything to mess things up for me.

Any help?

Interesting events. I canot imagine why anyone would pprescribe Etomine for Bipolar Disorder, anyway. A pure Zombie creating drug.
Anyway, it sounds as though younhave told your current manager all about what happened, so he is well-informed should anyone try to make difficulties about your history. As you say, the timing has been fortunate in that you had time to establish a good reputation before the problem emerged --- though it sounds rather spiteful for the previous employer to have told others confidential details about you. Your current manager clarly thinks well of you, just ask him to be sure the directors know how well you're doing, and that there were real medical reasons or the previous problems.
Keep up the good work

Posted by: Really | 2009-07-15

I think that everyone who is a hard worker and has proved capable and trust worthy inspite of their previous circumstances should be given and allowed a second chance. It' s not as if you stole from the company or did something illegal, it was just an illness that took over your life and you have managed to deal with it and it is not a worry in your life any more.

I must say though, that I hope that when you were interviewed and offered the job, that they did not ask anything specific in regards to your previous job perfomance and that if they did you did not conciously omit to tell the truth?

I also think that you should just carry on with your work as usual and you have proved yourself and if they had grounds to do anything, it should not have to be related to your previous job, because you are currently doing your best and maybe even more. :-)

All the best.

Reply to Really