Question
Posted by: Jade | 2010-11-18

six-pack

Hi Fitness doc

I was wondering if it is possible for me (a 17year old girl) to get a fant six-pack when i naturaly put weight mainly on my stomach? if so, how often and long would i need to exercise? my BMI is about 20.1 i am naturaly a fairly muscular person and enjoy exercise but have a layer of fat on my stomach. What are some exerices that you suggest?

Hi Jade

Yes, but the key is realizing that it's not about the stomach workout that you do, but a combination of that and losing fat mass, because you can have the greatest muscle development in the world, but it's the appearance of the six-pack that you're after. So in that regard, it's more about cutting that last stubborn body fat, which is really tough to do - not going to gloss over that for you, it's hard because our genes determine where we store fat and overcoming genetics is a tough ask. but if you stick with it, be really mindful of what you eat, then you can do it.

The training is cardio, not situps. You can do a million situps a day and achieve little - just look at a professional rugby player who plays prop. He has incredibly strong abs, but no six pack. So the cardio is the key, and the diet, very importantly...

Ross

3
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-11-26

Hi Jade

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-11-26

Hi Jade

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: PVS | 2010-11-24

You can do as much exercise as you want but if your diet is not correct you not going to get anywhere. Get your diet sorted out first before you ask questions regarding what exercises to do.

Reply to PVS