Question
Posted by: helpless | 2011-03-03

situation at work

I am employed at a relatively large corporate company - I enjoy the work I do most of the time, but there are things about my job that unsettles me.

As many people would proclaim, I feel I am not being paid a market related salary. I''m not just saying this because I want more money. I can tell from positions on offer in the market that I''m earning 25% below average. I''m not in a position to save any money - I barely get by. After the past few months of reducing spending I''m at end and cannot see a way out other than a new job. Being a white male also complicates the matter.

The problem is that expectations at work require me to do the work of a highly qualified professional and to do more than my colleagues. I think the reason for this may be because I exhibit significant more competence than my colleagues. I know for a fact that they earn more than I do. This has led to feelings of resentment and mistrust between me and my manager as I know he is lying to me about the situation and just trying to manipulate me into delivering infrastructure for the organisation to build upon. If I do as required I''m not guaranteed an increase, but the company will have the solution to their problem and little need for me then. I''ve tried to look for another job but the job market seems not to favour my kind.

I feel extremely helpless in this situation as I have worked for an abusive employer before and can''t see any immediate hope for me.

What can I do, please help

Sounds like exploitation. Purple's is the most sensible advice, and the most likely to be useful.

4

Posted by: Purple | 2011-03-04

If speaking to your manager doesn''t resolve the problem then you need to start an active job search.

Firstly look internally in your company, if it is a large company you will be able to move jobs or even change careers without leaving the company and losing out on benefits. As an internal employee you have preference over external applicants.

At the same time appraoch 3 - 5 employment agencies, and look on sites like career junction and put yourself on data bases like job crystal. Look in the newspapers work place supplement each week (this is still the place where you are most likely to find a job).
Apply for everything that interests you and that you meet the requirements for and send your CV to them on the day of the ad and expect to wait 3 weeks to 3 months before you hear anything from them (depending on the size of the company you have applied to). Don''t think " ooh, I" m not qualified for that"  - unless you are hopelessly underqualified for the job, if you don''t suit their requirements, they will weed out your CV - that is their job, but do take chances with things that interest you.
Also make sure that you tailor your CV for every job you apply for so that it highlights how you match the criteria they have advertised for.
Also remember that if your covering letter says you are honest, hardworking, loyal and trustworthy it is going to blend into the other 500 that also say something similar. Rather use the letter to mention the specific experience you have that makes you suited to that particular job as advertised.

Remember it will take 6 - 12 months before you start having success in your search and perhaps longer to get offered the job you actually want. This is perfectly normal - that is just how long a job search takes.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Molly | 2011-03-03

I''m in the same boat- been looking for new work for about 3 weeks and nothing yet. Look the job hunt will take some time but as my dad says, the right job will come along. Chin up. :-)

Reply to Molly
Posted by: Mmmmmmmmmm | 2011-03-03

Hey I am also a white male and guess what? I just ate Chinese -|- i guess im a little bit ahead of the curve. ANYWAY listen just draw up a C> V>  that covers all your work experience and skills and put your C> V>  out there, try to work directly with companies send your C> V>  off. Going direct is better than agencies they are like a bad trip you hope you will come down but you never do. So send your paper off straight to the companies. You can easily find the top 500 companies online. Then just keep working until you get another offer. The key is dont despair, no reason to get unlawfully unhappy, fcuk yeah your white and the blacks are still p!ssed about the past, but in reality who can contain you? who can stop you from reaching your dreams? only yourself!

Hey if it doesnt work out move to afghanistan join the rag heads man become a muslim, make good connections, dont worry about the west or NATO they are completely fukced! Pretty soon you can ship 5 tons a months and you will be a millionaire within weeks! Then, if you read your Koran correctly you can give half of it away to a charity invest the rest in long term fixed structures and come back to SA and live like a prince.

Reply to Mmmmmmmmmm