Question
Posted by: Mpho | 2011/09/26

Sister diagnosed with High risk Cells during a papsmear

I am trying to have more understanding of the steps to follow with regard to my sister''s diagnosis. they have just found high risk cells during her last smear test. A sample of her cervix was taken to establish the spread i assume. I need to know more on the next steps which will follow to be able to support her better. we have not told daddy yet since, the parternal side has the cancer challenge and i feel it will disturb him big time. mum past on due to cardiac arrest at 48.

If she had a LLETZ procedure on her cervix, this is both to determine spread and to remove the cells. The sample is sent to the laboratory to check for this. You should wait for this result. If the abnormal cells are all removed, she will need a follow-up pap smear in about 6 months.

1