Question
Posted by: Julie Govender | 2010/07/22

Sinusitius surgery

I have a sinusitus problem for as long as i can remember i have tried anit histamines, sinus medication, allergy pills and nothing seems to work. This is now beginning to irritate me and i am thinking of having my sinuses drained. How effective is this procedure? Please advise

Hallo Julie
Chronic sinusitis is often caused by factors like a skew nose septum or a blocked sinus opening or polyps. I think it is a good idea to go for an ENT specialist opinion. If the sinuses are acutely infected and not able to drain, the drainage procedure may help, especially if they enlarge the sinus drainage opening. If you have underlying allergic rhinitis, you may have to use nasal cortisone spray long term.

4
Posted by: Sarie | 2010/09/11

I went for the surgery 3 weeks ago, also doing the sinus rinse 2x a day and so far so good - huge improvement

Reply to Sarie
Posted by: julie | 2010/07/23

Thanks i think the best option for me is too see a ENT specialist and take it from there

Reply to julie
Posted by: Anonymous | 2010/07/22

DOn''t do it! Everyone I know who''s had it done has either felt no improvement - or rather, it went back to the way it was qite soon - or felt worse afterwards. My dad says doing it is the biggest regret he has in his life.
I''d suggest going to see someone like a homeopath or herbal medicine - worked for me. Also, a neti pot works WONDERS! You can get them at clicks and pharmacies. You put salt water in it &  then the spout in your nose, and the water runs through &  cleanses your sinuses of mucus and any kind of dust, mucus, etc sitting there. It sounds weird &  uncomfortable, but it isn''t at all. IT''s quick, easy &  painless. As a lifelong sinus sufferer I consider this my lifesaver!

Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/07/22

Hallo Julie