Posted by: Marie | 2009-07-01

I have got a 8 month old baby who suffers from sinusitis. What can I use for my baby as I have used iliadin pediatric drops but it caused his nose to bleed. And is it possible that he picked the sinus up from me when I was pregnant with him because I was suffering with it when i was pregnant? And I believe people say that adults can use ACC200 when they suffer with sinus? Is there any side effects when using that?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Marie

At 8 months, very few of the sinuses are developed and it is very unlikely that he suffers from sinusitis.

If he suffers from a blocked or runny nose, consult your ENT to assess the reason since he could have enlarged adenoids or a congenital blockage of his nasal passages.

Iliadin used for more than 5 days will lead to chronic nasal obstruction due to a rebound effect which will cause the nasal structures to swell. It is unlikely to cause bleeding and I would suggest that an ENT assesses the cause of the bleeding.

Your "sinusitis" would not have affected your baby. You get a pregnancy rhinitis which is due to hormonal changes and it is not a true sinusitis.

Regarding ACC200, it depends what you mean with "sinus". Sinusitis is inflammation of the sinuses which presents with headache, facial pain, foul nasal discharge or postnasal drip, fever, dental pain. Allergic rhinitis (blocked nose, sneezing is not sinusitis). ACC200 is useful to thin secretions only.