Posted by: Jen | 2012-07-04

Sinuses or more sinister?

Hi Doc, I started last Sunday night with a very sore throat which turned into me sort of losing my voice for the next two days. By last Wednesday I felt very fluey, but by Thursday I was fine. Except for my throat. I''ve had a tickle, sometimes a lumpy feeling, at the back of my throat causing a consistent cough. It''s way worse at night (I sometimes cough for a few minutes straight, until I am light headed), and the humidifier doesn''t help. I try to sleep sitting up, but when I fall asleep (and naturally lie down) I start coughing really bad and it wakes me up (then I have to drink water, take some cough syrup and spray a throat spray to try numb the itchiness). I am taking a decongestant as well as a cold/ flu vitamin supplement. I''m drinking lots of water, but today my throat feels worse today than it did yesterday. I really don''t want to go to the doctor if s/he''s just going to prescribe something I can get from the pharmacy without a script. What is the best way to treat this?

Consult your doctor for a throat swab, to determine if you need a course of oral antibiotics.