Posted by: S Kumar | 2010-05-13

Sinus Problem

Hi- I m suffering with sinus since last 3 years, I have a problem like: Headache, Running nose, itchy ears, cough &  itchy throat since last 1 year. I used to have nasal spray and amoxiciline whenever the problem increases than usual. one year ago i had gone through the CT Scan (PNS) and Doctor adviced me to go for Operation (surgery) . But some people say that sinus is allergic problem and it regrows after operation (surgery) also. Please advice - Can it be cure without Operation.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear S Kumar

Allergies may increase your chance to develope sinusitis. This is due to the inflammation caused by the allergies.
This is best controlled with a cortisone nasal spray, and anti-histamine tablets if needed. If a CT of the sinusses show any structural problems, this may be corrected with sinus surgery, keeping in mind that you will still suffer from allergies. The point is that you improve the natural drainage pathways in the nose, in turn reducing the chance of blockage, and subsequent infection.
Therefore surgery, if performed for the correct indications, may reduce your problem of recurrent sinusitis, but it will not take away your allergies.
If you are unsure, go back to your ENT to discuss your questions, or alternatively seek a second opinion from another specialist.

Posted by: Charles | 2012-08-07

Reply to Charles
Posted by: Charles | 2012-08-07

I was aiming to read this article when this screen popped up.

Reply to Charles
Posted by: Rita Gouws | 2012-02-28

I have had 3 sinus operations
I Have thick yellow mucus in my nose &  throat all the time
I Rinse I spray nothing helps

Reply to Rita Gouws
Posted by: MARGARET RAMASODI | 2010-06-10

I have done 4 sinus operations and I have a terrible smell coming out of the nose &  mouth. I think is chrinic infections.