Question
Posted by: Wesley | 2012-10-19

Sinus Infection or Virus?

Hi Doc,

I am on holiday in Singapore but not having the greatest time due to illness.

For the Past four days I have had a congested runny nose.

The only other symptoms I have are slight headache (although this is only in the morning) sinus pressure and what feels like a post nasal drip, my mucus is also clear.
It sounds like Sinus Infection apart from the fact my mucus is clear?
Is clear mucus a good enough indicator to say this is not a bacterial infection of the sinuses?

Doc''s are expensive here and I would not like to spend the money to acquire antibiotics if I actually have a viral infection.

Regards,
Wesley

Wesley

It is most likely a viral infection. You can consult a pharmacist for symptomatic relief of your sinusitis. You can also irrigate your nose with a little bit of salt water to loosen the mucus.