Posted by: Chris | 2011-04-15

Sinus headaches

Good day. I had a sinus operation a few years ago. But it did not help.I usually get bad sinus, going to the doctor and getting antibiotics, because my nose and ears starts to pain.

Today i went to a Ear Nose Throat specialist. he said it is more an allergy. I spoke to a lady saying that I should use Prednisone. Is it safe to use, and can i ask my GP to prescribe it for me? Kind regards

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Chris

Sinus surgery can not cure allergies, you need longterm treatment with a combination of topical nasal steroids, and if necessary, an anti-histamine. The use of prednisone (systemic steroids) may be required in selected cases on a shortterm basis, but can not be used in the long term. Your GP can decide if you need this.