Posted by: claudia | 2011-04-15

Sinus flush (astonomy)

My son had a lower sinus flush three weeks ago. Since that day he has developed a tendency to roll his eyes upward involuntarily. It has only occurred since the procedure and it is getting worse.

The Opthalmic surgeon has indicated it could be related to the Sinus flush and he has suggested we see a neurologist in case there has been nerve damage.

My son has had two sinus flushes prior to this one and never any complications. Has anyone experienced anything similar. His eyes keep jumping to the top left of the eye sockets. Its extremely irritating for him and it happens every 30seconds or so and more when he is tired. Please help as we are getting worried. His eyesight is fine and just been checked.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Claudia

The maxillary sinus washout that you are referring to, involves flushing out of the largest sinus cavity. I suggest you go back to your ENT surgeon immediately, as the sinus cavity is just below the orbit. (the area that houses the eye).
One should establish if the inferior orbital wall was breached, and if so, to which extent. Your ENT may have to order a limited CT scan to check the integrity of the bony structures. It is possible that there is no connection, but I suggest you do not leave this. Your ENT may ask a neurologist for an opinion.