Posted by: Claudia Griffiths | 2009-10-21

Sinus flush

Please describe the procedure of a sinal flush in a child of two years old? Do you use small sponges at all and why?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Claudia

I am unsure what you mean by a sinus flush? Could you mean a sinus washout? That would be the procedure of washing out the sinus cavity with saline solution (salt water) after a puncture hole is created in the maxillary sinus wall. This is of course done under anaesthetic. I would however like to point out that children of two have very small maxillary sinusses, as they develope with age. The sinus cavity is also not aerated (filled with air) at such a young age. This only happens after the age of two years.
The other sinusses only develope much later. It is very uncommon to need a sinus washout at this age, although some very limited reasons exist. This decision should not be taken lightely, and an x-ray is a very poor indicator of the status of the sinusses. The position of the teeth that have not erupted are also important, as damage to teeth in the maxilla may cause major problems at a later stage.
Consult an ENT if you are unsure.

Posted by: Elsie | 2010-02-05

I' ve got a mucus? block where my nose and throat meets. I sometimes feel like choking, and when I do get something out, it is yellow and extremely sticky? HELP!

Reply to Elsie