Question
Posted by: Esme | 2009/09/02

Sinus Defect

My son had sinus CT scans and the doctor told us that he has something that sounds like " kongabulose"  Can you please let me know what the correct spelling of the defect is. There is a nasal bone in the sinus that grew too much and now caused an airspace in the sinus which also causes swelling and my son breathing through his mouth

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Esme
This anatomical variant is referred to as a CONCHA BULLOSA, and this is when the middle turbinate is filled with an aircell/space. They may become very enlarged and in turn cause obstruction or blockage of the osteomeatal complex. This is a normal variant, and could be removed if it is causing problems.