Hi. I just got over a sinus problem (fever,body pain, weakness, sore throat, nauea) but the sore throat and phlegm symptoms just dont want to go away. All other symptoms have gone away exept this. What could be the problem? Should I just wait it out because my anti-biotic course is over now. I was on Erythromycin for 5 days and that helped with the fever and weakness and nausea, but didnt do much for the phlegm and itchy throat symptoms. Ive been using Bisolvan for that but it gives me a headache so I try and avoid taking it. Anything else you recomment? Ive already been to the doc and he just gave me the anti biotics , allergex and bisolvan so I dont really want to go back to him for more anti biotics

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Anonymous

Sinus problems are usually associated with headaches, postnasal drip, facial pain, blocked nose, fever, nasal secretions and often an inability to smell. Your symptoms cannot be classified as "sinusitis" based on your history. Body aches, sore throat and weakness suggest flu-like symptoms if they are of recent onset.

An itchy throat could suggest an underlying alllergy. Allergies respond better to an anti-histamine, combined with a topical nasal steroid. That could be why the antibiotic and cough syrup were ineffective. Antibiotics are also only effective against bacteria and will have no effect on viruses, therefore the common cold or flu symptoms will not get better on antibiotics.

An ENT surgeon will be able to acertain whether your problem is allergy based and would be able to exclude sinus problems.