Question
Posted by: Samantha | 2008/07/04

Sinucon Tablets suddenly schedule 6 drug

What is the story about Sinucon. A tablet that I once obtained over-the-counter has now suddenly become a schedule 6 drug according to the Pharmacist. What is happening is it still safe to use. I was given Colclear tablets instead but was told that soon these tablets would be off the market too. I used to use Sinustat but several Pharmacies seem to be out of stock of this tablet, is there a connection?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Samantha

Products containing the decongestant pseudoephedrine is affected. Ask your pharmacist for a suitable substitute to treat your condition - Something that they do have in stock.

The following is the notice that as sent out by the MCC:

Scheduling of medicines containing pseudoephedrine, d-nor-pseudoephedrine and ephedrine.

Friday, 30 May 2008

MCC notice on schedule change

Scheduling of medicines containing pseudoephedrine, d-nor-pseudoephedrine and ephedrine. A notice to applicants, such as manufacturers and distributors, has been published on the Medicines Control Council website. It deals with certain issues relating to the recent rescheduling.

MCC notice

The Minister of Health has in terms of Section 22A(2) and Section 37A of the Medicines and Related Substances Act, 1965 (Act 101 of 1965) on recommendation of the Medicines Control Council amended the schedules of the substances pseudoephedrine, d-nor-pseudoephedrine and ephedrine and has limited the maximum pack size of these products due to:

· The rapid increase in the illicit manufacture of methamphetamine where individuals are diverting ephedrine, d-nor-pseudoephedrine and pseudoephedrine, the key precursors for methamphetamine, obtained from licit distribution channels, to methamphetamine.

· The International Narcotics Control Board recommendation that the controls of ephedrine and pseudoephedrine substances should be expanded to pharmaceutical preparations containing these substances.

1. In light of the concerns regarding the increasing widespread misuse of pseudoephedrine, d-nor-pseudoephedrine and ephedrine, these substances have been scheduled as per the 25 April 2008 Government Gazette publication and the corresponding Schedules have been amended accordingly by the insertion of the expressions in the correct alphabetical order.

2. Applicants to note: Where an alternative schedule(s) is included in natural parentheses at any point of an inscription, this is provided for information only and shall not be used in the interpretation of the inscription.

3. The intention of the limit of one pack per customer for combination products containing ephedra alkaloids, ephedrine, pseudoephedrine or d-nor-pseudoephedrine intended for the symptomatic relief of colds and flu is to control distribution of large quantities of these substances, but to allow for a Schedule 2 status at retail pharmacy level for the sale of a single pack to the customer, which could be the patient or the caregiver.

Larger amounts are now Schedule 6. This does not preclude manufacturers and wholesalers from supplying retail outlets with more than one pack.

4. The amendment to the Schedules came into operation on 25 April 2008 which corresponds to the date of publication in the Government Gazette.

5. The Medicines Control Council has considered and agreed to a phase out period of existing printed packaging components of six months from the date of publication in the Government Gazette.

6. In light of the concern about the possibility of increasing widespread misuse of pseudoephedrine, the Medicines Control Council advised that the pharmacy profession be aware of the potential for misuse and that pharmacists are to supervise the sale/supply of pseudoephedrine-containing preparations.

8
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/12/10

It is all because of the TV show Breaking Bad

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/07/04

Its because those Bushy half breeds in the Western Cape use it to cook meth

Posted by: Michelle | 2008/12/10

I was told that the reason is because Sinucon can make one sterile, is this true?

Reply to Michelle
Posted by: vaness | 2008/11/26

i have been using sinal co tablets and they work really well for me.
now i dont seem to be able to get them anywhere anymore.
i live in weltevreden park. does anyone know where i can get from?????

Reply to vaness
Posted by: eye | 2008/10/18

OOPS - my spelling! i spelt the chemical in question with an A and not an E. I meant Ephedrine, just so i don' t come across as a thinking ' i know it all'  but cant spell!

Reply to eye
Posted by: eye | 2008/10/18

let me tell you all - itz the biggest CON re sinucon!!! it' s a damn good med cos the now drug ingridient in it, is SO miniscule compared to other preperations! yes ephadrine and norpseudoephadrine are abused a lot as stimulants! mainly for weight loss, recreation &  athletes[ the stimulant gives energy &  stamina, false route to go though! ] anyway there are LOADS of BIG BRAND names out there that contain HUGE amounts of this chemical and they are NOT YET BANNED!!! SINUTAB should have a law suit against them and they should LOOSE! they make a fortune, so they ' take'  these smaller groups ' out'  to make themselves look respectable - it STINKS! there other decongestants out there just as potent as ephadrine but they not banned!!!!!!!!!! look for the words preceding the hydrochlorides, i don' t mean the anti histamines! it' s all a huge scam they drug companies have had to get going because of illicit people/drug dealers making ' harder'  drugs from the ephadrine. it is a dangerous substance if abused!!!!! very bad for the heart and blood pressure, also causes anxiety etc etc etc, but small doses when needed are safe, for the average person! BRING BACK SINUCON!

Reply to eye
Posted by: Ingrid | 2008/09/10

I have used Sinucon since 2002 until it was no longer available in the pharmacies.

This was my wonder drug - it kept all my allergies, sinus headaches, migranes/neuralgia etc away and I felt alive - I have a underactive thyroid problem and this did not effect it at all.

I have tried all the alternative sinus/allergy medications, so far all that seems to help are the cortisone nasal spray and SinalCo. I now get neuralgia/running nose/headaches/allergic symptoms, this is really irritating as I alway feel drained and exhausted.

How am I able to obtain a script for Sinucon for my continual sinus/allergy problems, so I can have my life back.

Please advise.

Reply to Ingrid
Posted by: Genny | 2008/07/07

Hi Samantha

We found the same thing and apparently it is because of OTC abuse. I used to live on this drug due to sinus pain. I am allergic asthmatic so i use a cortine spray (Budeflam Aquenase) daily, however was forever getting sinus infections.

Try this (I wish I found it out years ago). Find a sterile empty nasal spray bottle (that you can unscrew the lid) or try plastics for africa. Put in some pure Colloidal Silver (Biosil). Take one puff in each nostril daily 3 x per day. I swear you will never get sinus again. Please say if this helped you once you have tried it. At the slighest hint of sinus do that and it kills whatever is the prob. Obviously if it is allergies it won't really help.

Genny

Reply to Genny