Question
Posted by: Robyn | 2008/07/14

SINGLE MOM, not sleeping

I am a single mother and resently was told i am suffering with depression. my problem is i cant sleep if my 5 year old isnt in my bed as soon as she is in my bed i fall asleep. (her bed is in my room) please help am i going crazy.

If you'll check back in the archives of this forum, you'll find that we more often get asked about the child who is reluctant to stop sharing the parents bed. DO you perhaps have issues about finding comfort from the presence of your child, or anxiety about what might be happening to her if not adjacent to you ? Maybe some counselling would help. Alsop, ask on the Parenting support forum, for more ideas from other parents

1
Posted by: diane | 2008/07/14

i had the same problem and did the same thing and one day i too realised that i just was not sleeping at night so i made the decision to put my child in their own room and it was hard for the first week i guess because it felt like i was all alone yet once i realised that i had the whole bed to myself and was not getting kicked in the middle of the night or did not get woken by the childs snoring or reslessness etc i was much better for it - you need to stand alone and realise that you are the adult and you need adult space and right now you just have clouded space - anyway i guess it took me time to realise that it was much nicer to sleep in my own bed all alone than being kicked every 5 minutes. good luck

Reply to diane