Question
Posted by: marietjie | 2009-09-16

simply slim not working

I am using Simply slim for the past 4 weeks and have lost only 1.4kg. I am mostly on a low GI diet, and have muesli and yoghurt for breakfast, a fruit as a snack, salad and chicken for lunch, a few nuts for a snack and seedbread with tomato, cottage cheese and cold meat for dinner. I have 2 cups of coffee in the mornings, then only 2 litres of water during the day. No fruit juice, sodas or alcohol. I walk 6km 5 days a week. I have no insulin or thyroid problems. What is wrong, I am desperate to loose weight? Please help me!

Dear Marietjie
As you may know, I am totally opposed to the use of these over-the-counter slimming pills and did an analysis for another Reader on the ingredients of the Simply Slim product awhile ago. This was my conclusion: "The fact that a product contains so-called 'natural' or 'herbal' ingredients is not guarantee that it is safe - some of the most potentially harmful products are made from herbs. The Bitter Orange Extract contains synephrine and is an appetite suppressant. Synephrine is a form of epinephrine that can cause a whole list of negative side-effects including palpitations, insomnia, psychotic states and wost of all, addiction. Other forms of epinephrine have been banned in over-the-counter products and I would not recommend that slimmers should use any product that contains synephrine. Cassia seed and aloe vera are laxatives that may cause loss of normal bowel movements and dehydration if taken in excess. The L-carnitine should not be taken by anyone with thyroid problems as it suppresses thyroid function.
I am not sure why the Lotus or Water Lily is being added to a slimming product because it is basically used as an aphrodisiac! It may be added to make you "feel euphoric" as the one advertisement for Blue Lotus states.
The Evening Primrose oil, and dietary fibre should not be harmful and the dextrose is probably added as a sweetener to improve the taste.
My recommendation would be not to use this kind of product". So if you are not losing weight even with the appetite suppressant and laxative properties of this product, then your total energy intake may be too high or your weight may already be within the normal range (you don't mention how much you weigh and your height in metres so I can't work out your BMI to judge if you are close to your ideal weight). I would suggest that you continue on the diet without the slimming aid and keep up the exercise. You may lose weight slowly at the rate of about 0,5 kg per week, but you will probably keep this weight off.
Otherwise consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can assess how much energy you ingest and expend to see if this can cause weightloss or not.

7
Posted by: alma | 2009-09-16

hi I' m also useing simply slim, today is day15. I lose 5,6kg. the first week I lose 4,5 kg. But I' m also on a dietician dieet. I drink alot of water. I think with exercise I would lost more.

Reply to alma
Posted by: marietjie | 2009-09-16

The portions are prescribed by a dietician, the nuts are 10 almonds,,,, The pace on the treadmill is the " highest"  for walking, if I inrease it, I have to jog, which I am not allowed to do, due to back problems

Reply to marietjie
Posted by: Sonja | 2009-09-16

Look at your portions, maybe they are too big and try cutting out the nuts. Even though they are good for you, they are very high in fat. At what pace are you walking? You can even try a riding a bike, which is a great exercise.

Reply to Sonja
Posted by: marietjie | 2009-09-16

30, I am 54 yeras old!!! And desperate!

Reply to marietjie
Posted by: marietjie | 2009-09-16

30, I am 54 yeras old!!! And desperate!

Reply to marietjie
Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-09-16

Whats your BMI?

Reply to Zexeon
Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-09-16

Whats your BMI?

Reply to Zexeon