Question
Posted by: Twiggy | 2008/07/02

Simple changes helped me lose weight

Hi everyone wanting to lose weight. These simple changes helped me lose 8kg (1 per week) and it may not be perfect. Diet Doc may have further recommedations/comments. But, I have tried every diet known to man and this finally worked/works for me (13kg to go):
Replaced sugar with equal sweetener (max 4 pellets per day)
Replaced full cream milk with 2%
Ate good old fashioned porridge like mealie meal/Maltabella/Oats for breakfast (keeps you full)
Replaced light breads with solid wholewheat/whole grain (2 slices per day)
Max 3 fruits per day
Use Spray & Cook olive oil spray to "fry in"
Eat lean meats like chicken/fish (with or without batter) but baked.
No carbohydrates after 2pm daily.
Supper is piece of fish/chicken/portion stew or whatever but minus the rice, pasta or potatoes or bread.
Increased intake of veg all kinds.
Made pure vegetable soup with just vegetables (all kinds except potatoe) and stock - my lunch with 2 slices of bread.
Gave up any marg or butter or oil on food or on bread except 1/2 teaspoon per day in porridge.
Stopped putting salt onto my food.
So, normal day looks like this:
Porridge for breakfast (2 pellets & 1/2 tsp marg)
Snack: banana and tea or 1 slice bread & 4 cherry tomatoes & tea
Lunch: homemade veg soup or cup 'n soup with 1 slice bread
Snack: 1 small apple and 1 large mineola
Before supper: 1 x mug lite hot chocolate (Nomu) with 1 pellet and milk.
Supper: portion of whatever we are having but heavy on the veg (pumpkin, butternut, peas, mixed, spinach - you name it - about 1 cup in total) and no carbs or very little i.e. I "dip" my chicken breast in the rice or top it with mash or just a little pasta.
I do take a good multi-vitamin and calcium supplement.
If desperate for a salty snack I have some pretzels or a sweet snack I have a mug of the Nomu hot chocolate sugar-free one and 2 toasted coconut marshmallows.

Best Wishes

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Dear Twiggy
Congratulations on losing those 8 kg - that is super, and thank you for your sensible suggestions. I would personally add 3 cups of fat-free milk and/or yoghurt to this diet to ensure that you ingest the 1200 mg of calcium a day that adult women require. Research has also shown that low-fat diets which contain 3 or more servings of calcium-rich foods actually promote weight loss. In the absence of you using milk or yoghurt, it is good that you are having a calcium supplement. You may find that also doing daily exercise will assist with your weight loss.]
Keep up the good work

1
Posted by: steve | 2008/07/02

Did much the same, but added a 30-60 minute walk 5 times a week. Lost 25 kgs in 25 weeks.

Reply to steve