Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-03-06

Silver teapot

We all know that it is not a good idea to use aluminium pots, but what about EPNS tea pots?

I have one which I use on a daily basis. It is an old family heirloom and is part of a EPNS tea service.

The inside of my teapot is unpolished EPNS silver. I would like to know if the tannic acid in my tea is likely to disolve the silver inside the tea pot, thus causing me to ingest the metal with my tea.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Yes, you may ingest tiny amounts of the metal, but it is not a health risk at this very low levels. Please be reassured and continue to enjoy using your tea service! The only risk I can think of here is if the teapot was electroplated over a lead layer, which might get exposed over time...but that is unlikely.

It's not a great idea to use aluminium, but as long as they are not damaged the risk from them is also likely to be low.

2
Posted by: Olivia Rose-Innes | 2009-03-17

You' re welcome Brenda!

Here' s to many more enjoyable tea-times!

Reply to Olivia Rose-Innes
Posted by: Brenda | 2009-03-10

Dear Olivia,

Thank you very much for findng out about the likely effects of the daily use of my silver teapot. You were the only person able to to give me advice re the health issue.

Although I have already reached the wrong side of sixty-five, I wouldn' t like to think that my health could be compromised by my rejuvenating early morning cup of tea! My silver teapot will continue to serve me for another twenty-years - with a bit of luck I' ll survive that long. It is good to know that I need not be concerned about the ingestion of silver in the future.

Thanking you again,

kind regards
Brenda Lomey.

I

Reply to Brenda