Question
Posted by: Laughing out Loud! | 2011/04/12

Silly advice on Daily tip

I had to laugh when I received this Daily tip from Health24 in my inbox this morning:

" Itchy and scratchy
If your dog is constantly scratching, it may have a skin allergy, a very common problem that some breeds are prone to. First: exclude fleas. Make sure all your pets are treated monthly for fleas with the correct flea product, and a spot-on product is easier and safer than a dip. Second on the list is a food allergy. These can unfortunately be tricky to diagnose and treat but begin with stopping all ‘ table food’ , especially food with lots of preservatives and containing dairy products. There are special food ranges for dogs with protein allergies, but first discuss this with your vet. Manage the condition by bathing your dog with a good quality shampoo for sensitive skins, and adding omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to his meals. " 

While some of the advice is good - e.g. adding Omega 3 (but NOT Omega 6 - they get enough in their dog food!) to their food, a lot is nonsense.

It is NOT " table food"  that causes skin allergies in dog. The protein sensitivities are caused by the GRAIN and VEGETABLE based protein (such as wheat gluten, corn gluten, alfalfa, and soya protein) found in commercial dog food, and this include the " premium"  brands one can buy at the vet.

If a dog with skin allergies are switched from the typically available dog foods to home-cooked rice or barley or oats +chicken and/or beef and/or pork and/or ostrich (the type of real meat protein source doesn''t really matter, as long as it is not grain-based protein) +vegetables (in balanced quantities, and containing no salt or ingredients that are bad for dogs such as onions) + added fat in the form of e.g. flax seed oil, the skin allergy will usually disappear. I''ve seen this with my own dogs.

Health24 should really try to give good advice, rather than just believing and selling the hype promoted by the dog food companies.

Hi Laughing out Loud,

I see that the tip contained items like:

"There are special food ranges for dogs with protein allergies, but first discuss this with your vet. Manage the condition by bathing your dog with a good quality shampoo for sensitive skins, and adding omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to his meals."

Considering it was a tip and not an in-depth article, I'm not sure that this is bad advice at all - but I'm sure they will use your input if they can.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2011/04/12

I think you''re being a little harsh, and also impractical.

Just as you have seen improvements in your dogs when feeding them non-commercial foods, I have seen a truly meaningful improvement when feeding one of my dogs a prescription commercial diet.

It is furthermore an unfortunate fact that most people lack firstly the knowledge, second the time, third the money and fourth (unfortunately, though of course not always) the motivation to prepare responsible, adequate and properly balanced home-made food for their dogs. It is a lot of work, from shopping, storage to preparation - not everyone has what it takes to do this.

While the advice given in this tip is by no means the only option, labelling it as ''silly'' is simply, well... silly.

Reply to Chill