Question
Posted by: silly | 2011/05/19

silly

I am embarrassed even to ask this question, but I am puzzled about myself. I am by nature solemn, quiet and uncommunicative and prefer my own company, However lately I find that in meetings I bubble over with my ideas enthusiastically (most unlike me- I believe in logical, methodical presentation) and also divulge personal snippets about myself which I do not necessarily want to share! This has started to happen with my friendships as well- I tell my friends things about myself that are not bad, but just that I don''t really want to broadcast.
It''s like a temporary verbal diarrhoea and I don''t like it. Nobody else objects to it but I feel I am invading my own privacy.
Perhaps if you could offer some sort of explanation for this odd behaviour, I could find a way to control it.

Don't feel embarrassed, it's a sensible question. Some of us have a cyclothymic personality, with noticeable mood swings ; in some of us this is exaggerated inso a Bipolar Disorder, with larger and longer swings of mood. You don't mention how long such "up" phases last.
What you describe sounds like the manic / hypomanic phase of such problems - being over-active, over-enthusiastic, under-critical, incautious, and so on. In the milder forms one can learn to control it on one's own, seeing a shrink for advice on how best to do this. In more severe forms, especially as one's judgement may be impaired at such "high" times, medication is also needed, as mood stabilizers can reduce the degree of mood swing.
Do see a good local srink for assessment and advice on how best to handle this

2
Posted by: Liza | 2011/05/19

It might be a good idea to see a psychiatrist for a full assessment. Perhaps you''re suffering from hypo-mania? When I get manic, I have exactly the same problem and this is a result of bipolar disorder.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza