Posted by: Sad Mommy | 2008-11-13

Insanity is not hitting your head against a brick wall, its expecting a different outcome when you do.

Thats how I am feeling right now. I love my daughter but her actions make me doubt myself as a worthy parent, I have followed advise from family, friends and people here and nothing seems to help at all. I literally feel like I am banging my head against a wall as I keep trying to fix this problem of her lying and stealing and its gotten to the point where I am convinced she is just a naughty child who doesn' t want to stop.

Is there such a thing as a child born bad? Or did she grow/learn this behavior? Her biological father is lying stealing manipulative psychopath, could it be genetic? She shows no remorse and any punishment is met with a f**k you smile on her face, she is 10 for heavens sake!

I hate myself for thinking its time to give up on her, but she just doesn' t stop. She does something awful daily now,

A psychologist says she is perfectly normal and a well adjusted child. She is a master of manipulation at 10! No one seems to believe thats even possible, yet I see it daily.
She has this jeckle &  hyde thing down pat.

Please,.... give me some guidance,

Some people are indeed psychopathic and may be much more inclined towards bad behaviour, but its still practical in most cases to modify their behaviour by relatively simple progamming ( as the BBC TV shows I keep recommending, demonstrate so well). I find it hard to believe, if you experience so much worry with her, that a psychologist insisted she was entirely normal and well-adjusted. Was it a duff psychologist ( then try another for a second opinion ) or are you perhaps over-reacting, or both ? I would expect a psychologist to recognize even if he found a wondrously normal kid, that there are at the very elast serious problems in your interactions, and to see you at some length, examine the interactions, and provide clear advice on how you two could relate better and maintain normal expectations of discipline.

Posted by: cm | 2008-11-13

Sorry- i agree with the shrink, a kid is only as bad as you allow them to be, and at 10 (that' s a baby!!!). when i raed your post i saw that you hate your ex and i can even bet that you and him had some nasty fights and maked some nasty scenes in front of her... kids act out what they see and experience and having to know and listen to ' your are so bad'  makes it worse. how about loving her to death- going for special relationship building- counseling-and hearing what is DEEP down inside her, it sounds like she is one lonely girl that is so ANGRY inside and she does not know how to act it out- after all- she is 10.

Reply to cm