Posted by: Jenny | 2011-06-22

Sierra Leone

Please can you tell me what the risks are for my 3 year old son if we go to Sierra Leone? What preventative measures can I take for malaria and any other disease he may get?

Expert ImageTravel expert

Hi Jenny,

Firstly taking a 3-yr-old into a Malaria area is not recommended. If there is no alternative, then all preventative measures to stop mosquito bites must be put in place, as well as prescribing either Malanil Paediatric or Larium according to weight.

He will have to have the Yellow fever vaccination unless allergic to eggs or chicken. He should be up to date with all his EPI vaccinations. A Hep A vaccination and MMR should be considered.

If it is long term, then Rabies vaccination should be contemplated as the little ones are the most susceptible to animal bites.

Posted by: Bobby Jones | 2012-11-06

Hi can you explain why you only need the above if you fly to ZAMBIA and not drive as I have not been saked for it when driving but refused to allow with out it when flying.

Reply to Bobby Jones
Posted by: Dee | 2011-08-18

Please advise what vaccines should be taken to travel to India from SA

Reply to Dee