Question
Posted by: Jane | 2010/02/22

Side pain after long runs

I have had side pain in my left mid-abdomen for the past two days after a long, hilly run on saturday. I had general abdominal cramping on the run, but then the side pain came on about two hours after the run. I do suffer from occasional IBS, so wonder if this is related. I was careful to rehydrate after the run and stay as hydrated as possible during it. I didn''t eat anything before hand. Over the counter anti-spasmodics don''t seem to help

What should I do? This is not the first time I''ve had this problem and I don''t want to disrupt my training.

The pain feels like a period pain.

Hi Jane

It may be related to IBS, but I'm not an expert in that area so wouldn't want to offer an opinion based on my limited knowledge.

The other possibility is a side strain, which isn't too unusual. Perhaps the cramping during the run put excessive strain on your abs during the run, and with an hour or more of that, it's not inconceivable that you've slightly damaged the muscle. In that case, rest is the answer, anything that doesn't cause the pain.

Finally, without wishing to raise alarm unnecessarily, you may wish to consider seeing a doctor if the pain persists. The fact that it's a repeated problem, and feels different to a muscle pain may suggest something else, but again, that's not something I'd want to guess at.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/23

Hi Jane

Reply to fitnessdoc