Question
Posted by: Dazed n Confuzed | 2008/08/19

side effects from Trepiline

I went to the Doctor yesterday for the third time to help with a neck spasm i have been having. The doctor prescribed Celebrex (one tablet at night) and Trepiline (25mg at night). I don' t think i have ever had such a good night' s sleep! Only problem is it is now almost 9:30 and i still don' t feel awake! I feel really tired and unable to concentrate. I suspect the Trepilene. I need to perform at work and really can' t feel like this everyday... Should i not rather stop taking them? Or should i give it some more time?

Thanks!

Hi Dazed
Some people just feel very sleepy on Trepilene - try taking it at 18h00 in the evening ( the half life is 12 hours) and cut the dose to half of 25mg if you still feels "clapped" the next day!

65
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/08/08

I have been put on trephine several time for neuralgia pain and had severe side effects vertigo nausea etc. I also have a friend who has just committed suicide after being on Trepiline for many years and as a result of finances could not afford it and was cutting them along with other medication.

Posted by: FLIP | 2016/07/18

CAN TREPILINE CAUSE PALPITATIONS ?

Reply to FLIP
Posted by: Fikile | 2016/06/06

i have been prescribed Trepiline and i have not started using but i want to know if it good when you are breastfeeding. i also get terrible migraines and at some point Trepiline work for a short-while, so is it still safe for me to continue?

Reply to Fikile
Posted by: mercy | 2016/06/02

so i took it last night and i cannot work today i feel zombiefull cant even chat with my collugues could it be trepiline.

Reply to mercy | 3 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/07/13

can it cause a rash

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/07/13

can it cause a rash

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/07/13

can it cause a rash

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/05/16

hi, I read a lot or negative stuff.. but I can only comment positive things. I've been on Trepiline since I can remember (for headaches and tension) and I also use it for a good nights rest... (or if I had a nap in the afternoon and I know I wont be able to sleep in the evening ;o)). I don't use it everyday anymore, but always have it with me (if needed). I drink mine 20:00-20:30 in the evening. I once gave it to my husband (to sleep) and he was like a zombie the next day... and that was only 1/4f of mine. Its obviously not the same for everyone... I can't remember how I felt when I started using it.. but if it was 'bad' I obviously got used to it. I've been overweight my whole life as well... so also not the reason why I picked up weight... Oh.. I can also mention that it helps for toothache ;o) Just crush a SMALL piece ...use the 'powder' and rub it on the gum where the ache is and in 5min its gone.. (don't let it touch your lips or anywhere else.. it will feel numb for a while- hehe). Overall... very happy with my friend Trippie :o)

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/05/16

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/05/10

Hi, I have hypertension and a underactive thyroid. I ddnt sleep for 4 days. I feel like zombie. I am an educator and I can't feel like this. Is it safe for me to take Trepiline 10mg. My family also have a history of heart disease.

Posted by: sjn | 2016/02/23

I have been taking 4 x 25 mg of trepiline for about 15 years how do I lower or stop taking them

Reply to sjn
Posted by: Haroon | 2015/09/28

Hi I am a 52 year old male and last week after many months of agony was finally diagnosed with Crohns Disease and put on treatment with Prednisone 5mg. Today I had a gastroscope done and the doctor found there's a constriction in my throat and it may point to Barretts Oesophagus or sleep apnea. So they prescribed Trepiline 5mg for 1 year. I am really concerned about the side effects and even more so now that I have read the many negative comments on this website. I also taking high blood pressure medication Ridac 25mg and Ciplavasc 5mg. I am now confused because I thought Trepiline was supposed to help my throat issues but its actually an anti-depressant as I just discovered today. What now????? Really appreciate some advice.

Reply to Haroon | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: rebecca | 2015/11/24

Hi there Haroon my name is rebecca im 19 and last year i was diagnosed with cronhs aswell , i went to so many speacilist and doctors and no one could help me untill i went to doctor flock at st augustine hospital and he put me on trepiline 25mg and for the first 2 months i battled so much with being tired and constantly grumpy but since i had started i had never had an attack and from constantly being in hospital to not one this year ive been so greatful , your body gets used to it and you become a completely different person i could never see myself going off of it , it may look negative in the beginning but it is so worth it , ive started living my own life again and its amazing .

Posted by: HV | 2015/09/22

I have been taking Trepiline for a few years now, but I also have a vertigo problem. Is this a side effect or do you think it can be something else as I also use Purata. Hope you can help me. Thank you.

Reply to HV
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/19

Can trepilene make your mouth dry?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/19

Can trepilene make your mouth dry?

Posted by: Hendrina | 2015/09/15

Hi my son is on trepiline and the pharmacy gave as the 25mg in a 10mg bottle and when I went to get the new batch I noticed that the colour of the pills is different. he is suppose to drink 10mg and I have noticed that he is reacting different he is disabled also what must we do and is this a big issue as I have read up on the pills and the side affects scare me allot.

Reply to Hendrina | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/06/23

10mg is blue 25mg is yellow. My doctor said I could split the 25mg in half that way I a not taking high dose 25mg

Posted by: Anna. | 2015/03/23

After a divorce and feeling very suicidal my dr prescribed Trepelline 25mg. I started of with 3 @ night and in time went up to 5 @ night. I am not depressed. I have my moments but not days. I go to work every day. Only side effect i have is a dry mouth which i have learned to cope with. After reading everybodys comments i can not believe that nobody else have anything good to say about Trepelline. I have picked up weight but my dr did warn me. Am i a bit overweight and happy or be misrable. Happy Anna.

Reply to Anna. | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/03/24

I've suffered from major depression and suicidal tendencies for the last 8 years, I struggled constantly with trying to cope and using tons of other medications, I only recently stumbled across trepiline. I started out on a dose of 30mg per day which left me feeling a bit off balance, but since dropping down to 20mg at night, I'm feeling like my old self again. It is the first medication where I have not experienced side effects and doesn't leave me feeling empty. Not only that, but I no longer have to take a sleeping tablet every night either. It truly changed my life.

Posted by: rebecca | 2015/11/24

hi there i have only good things to say about it . :) ive lost 6kgs on it and have become a complete different person , healthy happy no longer in pain , its a Gods send .

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/03/02

Hi I took trepiline for 6 week. And after the 2 weeks later I started seeing my vision after I sleep an open my eyes its jumps could that be because of the tables an my 1 leg is painful an stiff........pls help as Iam not the medication but still feel iam getting worse.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/03/02

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/01/28

I recently had a hysterectomy, and 4 weeks post op I am still suffering with excrutiating pain on a daily basis. I cant sleep as a result of the pain so my pharmacist ( my best friend ) recommended that I try Trepiline 10mg at night to see if my pain improves etc. I only got 5 tablets, but after reading all the posts I am reconsidering taking the tablets at all. What are anyones thoughts?

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Desiree | 2015/08/21

I was suffering from headaches all the time.I would wake up every morning with a headache, or a start to a headache. Doc recommended 10mg Trepiline and I have not had a headache since. it must be taken early evening (around 19H00), so not to feel groggy the next day.

Posted by: Wicus | 2014/12/25

Hi I've been on Tripilene for almost a year. I struggle to get up in the morning and I've put on a lot of weight. I also have a problem with short term memory. I forget things that were said or happened hours or a few days ago but can still rememder things from years ago. I dont think rationally before I do things ie. I'm stupid and 'dof'. It's almost like I do things without thinking and I don't care that I'm doing it wrong. Could Tripilene be the cause? Regards Wicus

Reply to Wicus | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: jax | 2016/04/09

hi, i am dof mist if the time! I think we have to weigh up the benefits to the sude affevpcts of meds and then decide if they are worth taking. I am on tripiline which helps with pain,but omG, i hate being fat! Hang in there Wicus :)

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/10/26

having the same side effects

Posted by: karools | 2014/09/18

I am taking Trepiline 25mg since they diagnose my daughter with breast cancer. I could not sleep at all so the doctor gave me Urbanol and a sleeping pil. Even al those did not let me fall asleap. I was knitting the whole knight and sleep in between for short times. But the bad thing about this is that I had 4 back ops in 6 years and the doctor told me that my one leg nerves is damage and it will pain. After several tapes of medicine the pain just wont gou away. Know the other leg start to pain at knight after I took Trepeline. I did not notice that it start as a result of the Trepeline but when I red all the comment I start to take the trepeline away. I am know of the trepeline and my lrg without the nerve damage is feeling must better. I am sure that the Trepeline is the coase of my weight gain aswell. Realy I dint know

Reply to karools
Posted by: Concerned / NAM | 2014/08/12

I have been prescribed Sandoz - Bezafibra 400mg and Trepiline 25mg.I have /cholestrol and high blood pressure . (34yrs and 6 kg over weight ? )One tablet of each every night for an month.I feel weird and not myself.I drink tablets at 20hoo in the evening ,by 20h30 I feel drowsy and go to sleep.I fall asleep fast but the after abou 2 hours I keep on waking up for no reason during the night.And is then very tired when waking up.When I wake up in the morning I am irritated ,moody ,tired and this is putting a strain on my family at home.Headaches , blurred vision ,ringing in ears,tired,dry mounth,arms feels heavy and tired.this is just not right to give someone this medication with these terrible side effects.

Reply to Concerned / NAM
Posted by: Corrina | 2014/06/24

Hi there. I am on 25mg Tripiline - although I can only manage half of that at the moment due to the same feeling of not being fully awake. The full dose also gave me an extremely dry mouth. But my question is - how many people have put on weight? I was convinced it was the Tripiline, so took myself off but all my symptoms that I was put on it for it came back. I have started taking it again - and my symptoms have improved, but I look 5 months pregnant and I'm sure I didn't look like that when I wasn't on it!! Problem is, is that I am on so many other tabs that I don't know if Tripiline IS the culprit!!! Feel really miserable about this. Can anyone advise - and if you did put on weight - does it level out with perseverance? Thanks

Reply to Corrina | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/11/13

I have also put on about 5 kilo's and I thought it was the pill so I went off it, but it has not made a change so I am convinced it is the Trepeline.

Posted by: Tracy-Ann | 2014/10/17

I have put on weight as well and Trepiline is the only thing I am taking. I cannot function at all when taking the pills and feel like a zombie for the whole day.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/04/09

I have experience short term memory loss since I have been taking trepline in 5 months.

Posted by: bibi | 2014/04/09

Hi. I started trepiline 10mg at night. After 2 weeks my stomach started bloating n I picked up 2 kg. Could this be the trepiline? I try to eat healthy and Excercise 3 times a week?

Reply to bibi | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/05/13

ok

Posted by: bibi | 2014/04/09

Reply to bibi
Posted by: sharon da silva | 2014/02/28

I am also on 10mg tabs (1 per night). I have stopped taking them as my legs from my hips down ache at night. I don't know what to do as it has been a few days now that I have stopped taking them, and my aches have stopped but I am so tired as I am not sleeping at night. Wide awake!!! What should I do - the reason why I was put on them was also for neck muscle pain etc. I am going to a chiro every time I have the horrific pain in my neck and head and that helps for a few weeks again. Sh I try taking the tabs again or persevere? I am not sure if it is the tabs but I am sure I have put on more weight and I was having sweats at night - which I have just read can also be caused from them!? Help?

Reply to sharon da silva
Posted by: Cecile | 2014/02/12

I'm on Trepiline 10mg. It makes me sleep very well! The doctor prescribed it for me for the ringing in my ears and headaches I complained about. He said it's because my muscles go tense while I sleep at night. At first it helped for the headaches, but now the headaches are back. Do I have to take it every night or can I skip some nights? I was never told it's an anti-depressant as I am already on an anti-depressant. I also have severe aches in my legs now, from my hips down to my ankles. Can this be a side-effect? My leg muscles feel very stiff.

Reply to Cecile | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/08/21

I am also on 10mg and I am also experiencing pains in the legs, hense the reason for looking up the side effects. This has just endorsed it.

Posted by: jay | 2013/10/29

hi there my husband has been suffering with severe knee pain for the last 4 weeks after numerous visits to the hospital and after several xrays he was told he has osteo arthritis the orthopedic doctor put him on trepilin 25mg.he is also a patient with hypertension,diabetes and is also on medication for cholestorol can anyone tell me if this drug really works because the pain really gets bad at night

Reply to jay
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/09/26

I'm using this for over a year and sometimes I take four 25mg trepiline.When I don't have stock I suffer from terrible lower back aches.

Posted by: Sam | 2013/09/18

Hi I have been on trepiline, a very high dosage I am forced to stop using it as I no longer can afford it. There are places the goverment provide it for free but I live in a very isolated place and dont have transport of my own the only transport I might have simply refuse to help me.I cant sleep at night or eat When I sometimes do fall asleep for a while I get the worse nightmares which again is a dusturbance to others. I am unemployed and started to take the tablets for depression, however I started drinking went to rehab and stop it but because I had no meds I drank on two occations since leaving rehab, cause the withdrawal from trepiline was just so bad, which of cause made everything worse. I am so suicidal that I repeat in my mind'just hold on till after Christmass' see its very important for my family and I know if I kill myself now it will certainly kill the the only two family members that still cared.I JUST NEED TO HOLD ON TILL CHRISTMASS.I hate when I open my eyes in the morning cause it means another day to struggle trough when night time cames I am afraid of the insomnia or the nightmares. I am afrsid all the time trying to stay out of everyones way inorder to avoid conflict.Someone recently said I am less than a dog,a pig ,a bastared and so many more things.Thing is I have to take it since I have no where to go the only way out is really just to end it all. Please dont get me wrong no one wants to die biut surely death must be far better than what I am experiencing now.

Reply to Sam | 4 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/02/01

Hi Sam, I know this post dates back to 2013, but I really hope that you have overcome your struggle. I too was ill treated by my family after my parents past away. To have someone tell you that you are the cause for your mothers death and also to take my own every day was really hard on me. But I took it as motivation to get out. I had two choices, kill myself or walk away and make something of myself. I had no money, but I managed to put myself through school and varsity. God found me every time I couldn't get up. I swear, if I didn't hold on to His promise I would dead by now. Hang in there, remember there's a reason why He made you :)

Posted by: A Friend. | 2014/09/19

Hey Sam, Best advice you will ever get guaranteed. What ever you do, get a Bible and pray aloud to God who forgives all. Remember, he died for our sins. This means they are covered and we to should forgive others! Read the Bible expectantly asking God to show you how to live like Jesus lived. Think first about others, don't be angry at God! Grit your teeth and with every sinew in your body, do what is right! Taking your own life is a sin, so avoid at all costs those thoughts planted by the devil and move into a new way of thinking and acting! What can I do for someone while I am on this planet!!! Do this and you will not have time for depression. God give hope, hope brings smiles, smiles brings HAPPINESS, happiness brings health! Gods way is healthy! Don't just read this, try it before you dis it!! God Bless Bud!

Posted by: Kyra | 2014/06/02

Hi there Sam. This post is probably old but I just want to say that you are never alone. Don't let anyone ever make you feel like less of a person. You are something and everything in the eyes of God and someone out there looks up to you and is so grateful for your existence. There is always a way. Don't give up. You are strong and beautiful and magnificent! Keep going honey. Everything will be okay

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/09/30

Hello there Sam, sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time, but you must NOT let anyone drag you down with their nasty comments. People who are so nasty to other people are usually like that because they are jealous of you or they feel very insecure in themselves. Maybe, they are the cause of your problems and you need to move away from them. You must NEVER give up hope as there are always other answers and solutions to problems. Focus on the people who do love you and are kind to you. And also focus on strengthening yourself. You are a very important person and nobody has the right to tell you otherwise. You are entitled to be loved. I hope all goes well with you and that you can find a way to improve your situation. Good luck and I truly hope and pray that you have many good blessings come your way! Go well and take care.

Posted by: Mel | 2013/09/06

I have been put on Trepiline for a period of six months. I have started getting migraines and my GP and the Neurologist put me on it. I take 10mg every night. I sleep very well and wake up rather energetic. I guess it has different effects for everyone. My only worry is what will happen after the six months. Eish?

Reply to Mel | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Colleen | 2013/09/30

Hello Mel You mustn't worry, as I've been taking trepiline for about a year now and the doctor said I could stay on it for the rest of my life if I need to. The doctors will only give a 6 month prescription as the doctor will need to reassess your situation after being on trepiline for the 6 months and then if you still need it, will give you another 6 month prescription. So don't worry! Also worrying will just worsen your migraine situation. Good luck & hope all goes well with you.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/08/27

I have been diagnosed with RA (rheumatoid arthritis) at the age of 31. As a result I've been put on Trepilene 25mg x 3 per night, I'm only taking two and have been taking it for 4 months now. I'm a person struggling with insomnia as a result of pain, but I've been so moody till the point where I feel like I could kill sometimes and my husband asked me today if I do not think I should go see someone / talk to someone as he doesn't see his wife anymore, its like she's been taken over by someone else. I scream at my kids ect. I feel so out of control sometimes that it makes me sick. is there anyway that this could be a side effect from using Trepilene?

Reply to Anonymous | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Fibro Girl | 2016/01/15

I have been on trepeline for four months. I take 10 mg at night. I also take 10mg of cilift which I have been on for 10 years. I started taking the trepeline due to a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia and to help with sleep and severe migraines, neck aches and constant pain. Four months in I sleep like a baby. The headaches are gone. The pain is so mild when it does occur that I can completely ignore it. HOWEVER, I have gained 5 kilograms. I am moody and irritable. I have developed eczema on my face which is embarrassing and unsightly. AND I am feeling depressed. WEIRD right. I am in a quandry. Due to the low dose I am going to stop taking it and start taking 6mg of Melatonin at night for sleep. Since supplementing two slow mag capsules a day I had noticed reduced pain plrior to the trepeline. I am going to follow the healthy protocol with melatonin and magnesium and hope for the best. My husband at the moment calls me the neverbeast! Hang in there. You are not crazy. Just suffering from unfair side effects.

Posted by: Colleen | 2013/09/30

Hello there, sorry to hear you have RA. I think you should see your doctor again as your moods could be a side effect of the trepiline. So rather see your doc and perhaps ask if your doc can't change your meds to something other than trepiline. Good luck and hope all goes well for you.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/06/13

I have been taking 25mg at night for quite a while now (I think more than 6 months) but I feel totally out of control again. I am extremely moody and aggressive and have suicidal thoughts. I am at my wits end....what do I do?

Reply to Anonymous | 3 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/09/30

You must go and see your doctor and tell him/her of the way you're feeling. I believe that some people do have the side effects you are having from taking trepiline. Medications effect people differently, so while some people may not have those side effects, some do. Go and see your doctor asap. Good luck

Posted by: Malthee | 2013/07/19

Please stop it immediately...my sister law got so addicted that she started taking 4 a night and now its damaging her nerves..shes in hospital with a stroke..shes only 40years

Posted by: Malthee | 2013/07/19

Posted by: emm | 2013/05/04

I have been put on to Trepiline for Trigeminal Neuralgia initially. The dose was 10 mg at night which I took for about 1 month. I f elt really wierd in the morning - only feeling normal from about 5 p.m. the following day. I have halved the dosage now and do feel a little btter earlier in the day. I am not a drug taker, and am very sensitive to any medication. However, the "neuralgia"seems to have gone further now, and I have trigger spoits all over the body, and my big toes and heels of both feet are numb. Is this an effect of the tripiline....I wonder?

Reply to emm | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/07/19

Posted by: Lorraine | 2013/03/28

My GP has put me on 25mg of Trepiline starting with 1 for 3 days and then 2 from there onwards. After taking the 1st tablet I could not wake up and had no saliva. I am afraid to take 2 now. Do you suggest I just keep to 1 and will the symptons get any better. I do not need a sleeping tablet and am taking this for depression.

Reply to Lorraine | 3 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/09/30

I've been on trepiline for about a year now. At first i took half a 10mg tablet but found i was still sleepy the following day, so cut it down to a quarter tablet and that was fine. Over the months i did increase the dosage to 1 full 10mg tablet a night and felt fine the next day, except my skin especially on my shins and calves became very dry and itchy and developed eczema. I also noticed that the higher the dosage i took, the drier my mouth and throat became. It felt as if i had blotting paper in my mouth. I then weaned myself off the trepiline and as i decreased the dosage so did my eczema & dry skin improve. The doctor told me the trepiline couldn't cause eczema but i'm sure it does. Then when i stopped the trepiline altogether my insomnia came back, so i started taking only a quarter tablet again and slept well. My eczema has improved greatly but my skin is still dry and still itches but not as bad as when i was taking a full tablet. So, if your mouth is very dry or you still sleepy the next day, then cut the dosage down a bit. But let your doc know that you are.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/07/19

Posted by: Lorraine | 2013/03/28

? Waiting for reply

Posted by: Petro Purchase | 2009/04/26

Is Baclofen available in South Africa and , if so , at what price ? Is there a generic equivalent?

Reply to Petro Purchase
Posted by: BMJ | 2008/08/19

Dear Dazed and confused

It is the Trepiline. I take 25mg every night, but I take my tablet no later than 6pm. It does not make you drowsy like a sleeping tablet does, so it does not matter to take it much earlier - that way it is defin out of the system by 6am the next day. I felt the croggy side effects for a few days though. Perhaps you should halve the tablet for now and then go on a full one on the weekend and see how it works.

BMJ

Reply to BMJ
Posted by: Jax | 2008/08/19

My G P also prescribed Trepiline (but with zopax) for neck and back spasms among other symptoms. The initial dose was hectic and i now take 10mg of the Trepiline. It Works well and I can function in the morning. I went on a course of acupuncture which worked really well so most nights I don' t need to take anything.
Good luck.

Reply to Jax