Question
Posted by: Nixs | 2011-02-07

Side Effects

My brother was diagnosed with bipolar 3 years ago, he is ok for long stretches and then will suddenly become very busy, wanting to visit till the early hours and talk about everything under the sun. This then changes to such a deep depression that he can not get out of bed. He has attempted suicide once already during this stage.

A new friend of his introduced him to weed a little while ago, and now he smokes it everyday. He says he feels calm and relaxed for a while and therefore is worth it. I am concerned what this might result in. As far as i know he is on Epilim, risperdone and then an anti depressant, can''t remembert the name now. I would like to know how him smoking weed is going to mix with the meds he is on.
I have told him of my concerns , but it really feels like a losing battle.

That sort of excessive busyness sounds like the start of an episode of hypomania, and it can be useful for friends and family to help the person reconize when this is happening, so that they can see their shrink and have the treatment suitably modified.

Because it can be a problem that in this early stage, hypomania may be rather enjoyable, and they may feel creative and productive, even when they are not, and thus reluctant to seek the treatment they need.

That this is then followed by a deep depression makes it even more important to get an early intervention.

Weed is a really bad idea, and isn't good for anyone's brain, especialy not one that is already inconveniently unstable.

It sounds like he needs a better discussion with his psychiatrist, and maybe even a second opinion, as the present combination of meds is clearly not working as well as would be wanted.

1