Posted by: Colin | 2010-04-07

Sickly Child

Good morning,

My daughter (4 and a half years) permanently gets sick. She gets colds, flu and coughs and visits the doctor on a very regular basis. The doctor gives her medicine, gives her anti-biotics and sends her away. He advised that we needed to check her diet and to ensure that we feed her enough green veggies and fruit (which we do), and said that vitamins won''t make a difference in her life (which we bought for her in any case).

She is in a creche during the day between lots of other kids. I checked what she gets fed there and it is acceptable in terms of nutritional value. I had issues with Anaemia as a child which were only discovered as I entered into puberty.

Could this have been genetically carried over to her, or could it be something else? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

It is most likely to be something else and especially chronic allergies (food, enviromental) can mimic your child being sick all the time. I therefore, suggest that you consult a paediatrician. He/she will definately be able to assist you.

Posted by: P | 2010-04-07

Hi. Children catch all sorts of colds etc. when at preschool, but will build up an immunity eventually. Have you had her tonsils checked. Has she been to an ENT doc?

Reply to P
Posted by: Cathy | 2010-04-07

Hi Colin, I have heard that quite often children have these kinds of symptoms when they live in areas that the polution is rather on the high side. Of course the antibiotics will help temporarily but will not cure it. One other thing, please feed your little one some yogurt as the antibiotics are prone to leaving them a bit on the vunerable side after each course and the yogurt is a nice healthy way of putting the good bactaria back in her system.

Reply to Cathy