Posted by: Concerned mother | 2013-02-02

Sick sinus syndrome and pacemaker

My son (27) received pacemaker 4 months ago after repetitive black outs for nearly 20 days. It is as if he had a personality change - he is like a defiant 18years old and makes horrendous decisions. No one can believe it is the same person. Is it possible that he got brain damage in that time. Please help!!!

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Concerned Mother

I am sorry to hear your son needed a pacemaker at a young age. After repetitive blackouts over a period of three weeks it is possible that he suffered some brain damage, but his “personality change” after the pacemaker may simply be a psychological reaction to having a pacemaker at a young age. It would be a good idea for him to be seen by a neurologist and if necessary a psychologist so that the problem can be sorted out. A lot will depend on how long he remained unconscious during each of his blackouts.

I hope things go better for him.

Best wishes, JT