Question
Posted by: Ash | 2008/06/26

Sick Sinus Syndrome

My son was diagnosed by our GP with SSS after he fainted twice in a space of 4 days.I was advised to get him to a cardiologist which I did and even though the cardio picked up a slow heartbeat of 48p/minute he advised he picked up nothing unusual on the scan of the heart. what a relieve, but i don't understand why the slow heartbeat. He advised if the fainting persist I need to take him back immediately and they will run further tests - I am still worried though and what else can cause the slow heartbeat.

Hallo Ash
A slow heartbeat is called bradycardia. Did they do an ECG? This is usually caused by electrical conduction defects in the heart. Sick sinus syndrome in young people are often caused by scarring due to previous infections or operations.
See also: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bradycardia/DS00947