Posted by: Mojo | 2009-09-22

Sick pup pse help!

Hi<br>My spaniel is 10 months old and for the past few nights has been going mad with an itch. He doesn' t have fleas and it' s only at night he' s so itchy. This morning he refused to eat and wasnt even interested in his favourite treats... i am taking him to the vet later but do you have any hints on what this might be?<br>He' s also got a lump on his chest that we noticed a few days ago, doesnt seem to be sore cause he lets us touch it, but it' s quite big. COuld they be related?<br><br>Thanks!

Dear Mojo

My guess would be Sarcoptic mange.

Posted by: Mojo | 2009-09-23

Pup going in on Friday to have lump removed, vet said he ' wasn' t happy'  about it so hoping that it' s nothing serious :-(

Reply to Mojo
Posted by: Chill | 2009-09-22

Mmm... hard to tell! Fleas aren' t always visible, so maybe it' s that, or maybe he has some contact allergy - perhaps to the detergent or maybe fabric softener you use for his bedding?

No idea about the lump - I' d also be interested to hear what the vet says.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cheryl | 2009-09-22

I also have 2 spaniels and they both seem to love catching bees, insects etc, so if your' s is anything like mine like the lump could be a bite of sorts that could have casued an allergic reaction and hence the itch and loss of appetite. My vet told me to give my spaniels some Allergex/Lorahist syrup (any antihistamine actually) if they are stung. If this has been going on for a few nights though then it' s best to ask your vet, let us know tomorrow, I would be interested to know what the probem is - good luck!

Reply to Cheryl