Posted by: confused | 2008-12-17

sick or pregnant?

hi doc

a got up last night and my stomach was upset. i threw up alot. now today i was still feeling sort of sick and my tummy is upset. im not sure if im pregnant or just getting sick with the winter now starting to get very cold.
the last time i had sex was about two and a half weeks ago.could i get symptoms this quickly of being pregnant?throwing up and stuff?
will a pregnancy test pick up if im pregnant or is a blood test the way to go?

thanks alot.
have a good day doc

If you have not yet missed a period, it would be too soon for pregnancy symptoms.

Posted by: Ruby | 2008-12-17

Hey anonymous,
I' m not the doctor, wait for his/her post.
Apparently some people get morning sickness from as early as just after conception (others get it at 8 weeks and some not at all). How long is it before your period is due? The home pregnancy test will show as early as 2 days before your period is due (if it is negative and your period is late, test again) It should definately show positive if you are pregnant and you have missed your period with about 2 days. Untill then, best is to wait and see. If the home pregnancy test is positive, you can go for the blood test to confirm. If your cycle is 28 days (count 28 days from day one of your last period till the day you start your next period as day 28), then you will ovulate on day 14 (ie 2 weeks after the 1st day of your period) ie this is the time that you can fall pregnant (and a few days before and a few days after). My cycle is 31 days and I ovulate around day 16 or 17. So you can work out if you had sex in your fertile days. If you did, you might be pregnant. It might just be food poisoning, so dont be to worried. Most people dont fall pregnant the first time they have unprotected sex... Me and my husband tried of 3 years! All the best! Regards Ruby

Reply to Ruby