Posted by: Christo | 2010-07-01

Sick leave

Hi there, I am a manager in a company and it was brought to my attention that certain employees take sick leave every year at the same time. I think the reason for this is to make use of all their sick leave. My problem is that they submit sick notes from doctors. If I can show / proof that their sick leave is every year at the same time is there something I can do about this?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Re: Sick Leave

If you can prove that the sick leave is exactly the same time of the year then you could challenge each and every employee who does this. A sick note does not mean that you have to respect same, you are entitled to telephone the doctor and if you do not wish to pay the sick leave then it is up to that employee to challenge it and to bring the doctor's evidence.