Question
Posted by: every second day | 2009-08-23

sick leave

I had a bad cold just before the schools started, and couldn' t go back to work on the Monday, but only the next day. Two weeks later, I developed flu and stayed away from work for one day (on a Thursday) and then dragged myself back to work on the Friday. The flu got worse through the next week, but I was at work the entire week. Finally the doctor had to book me off for the next week. On the Thursday of that week, my boss phoned me and picked me out because I was not at work and really gave me a hard time, which was upsetting in the extreme because I really could not help getting ill and am a conscientious worker. What rights do I have in this regard? I have about 25 days sick leave available. I work for a state department. Three years ago I suffered from burnout because of work overload AND because because of this same boss' s victimization.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: SICK LEAVE

If in fact you are ill and you do have a medical certificate then no employer can stand in your way. You are entitled to 30 days sick leave over a three year cycle.

1
Posted by: Mauritz Moolman | 2009-08-25

The boss cannot stop you from taking sick leave if you have any available as long as you comply with the Basic Conditions of Employment Act.

Reply to Mauritz Moolman