Question
Posted by: Lucy | 2008/09/10

Sick kitty

This morning my cat ate her breakfast and promptly vomitted it up. She was perfectly fine early this morning but now her hind legs are paralysed and she is unable to move. I live in Botswana and the vet here doesn' t seem to know what is wrong. I am in a bit of a panic. Any advice will be appreciated.

Dear Lucy

Sounds like a saddle thrombus. This is a big blood clot that gets stuck in the main blood vessel (aorta). Prognoses with these are very poor if it is this. Do a bit of research regarding this on the internet. A age here would be helpfull in giving you a better prognoses.

1
Posted by: Lucy | 2008/09/11

I think you may be right. She was 11 years old. Unfortunately she died during the night, at about midnight and I am completely devastated! There is also something called " tick paralysis"  that I found on the internet that has similar symptoms. We are meticulous about protecting our animals against parasites though, so I don' t know. Thank you for the reply, much appreciated. There' s nothing worse than not being able to help them.

Reply to Lucy