Posted by: Christina Marais | 2012-04-08

Sick husband

Dear Doctor, My husband got ill the first time in Cape Town on the 19th December 2011. He was admitted to hospital and was treated with a bacterial antibiotic UV. Sorry I also just have to say we are currently living in Mozambique. He was also tested for Malaria but that test was negative. His lungs and liver was very damaged. He had Malaria in May of 2011. They also said he is showing signs of Phnemonia (sorry for the spelling there)
He recovered and on the 19th February he had the same symptoms again. Cold shivers, high temp, nausy and very sensitive skin in his lower back area. Was tested at our local hospital here and again it was negative. Was given an bacterial antibiotic again. A week later we had to go to Nelspruit hospital as he was not get 100%. The doctor on duty treated him for Malaria as he reconed a liver in the state his was can only be malaria. He was treated with Quinene UV and was discharged 4 days later with Quinene tablets to take. Yes on the 19th March he fell ill again with the same symtoms and was tested positive with Malaria. Was given another 7days Quinene tablets to take.
On friday evening he started getting cold shivers again with high temp 38,5. He was also very tired. He slept and the next morning he was fine again. At about 11 the morning he started getting stomach cramps with a medium tummy run. He slept the afternoon and the evening he felt better with just a uneasy feeling on his abdominal area.
This morning he woke up ok was just tired and powerless. This afternoon he went to lay down and there goes the high temp again 38.1 and thurst. He also vomit a little bit. He is now sleeping with on and off groans.
He is also talking about very weird things.
I am very concern as no doctor can establish what is wrong with him even taking blood samples.
Could you please suggest what this could be?

I suggest that your husband consults an infection specialist as soon as possible. It will be beneficial to make an appointment at the Millpark Hospital in Johannesburg. It is possible that he has a drug resistant malaria. This infection will have to be identified and treated aggressively. It is a very serious condition and he will have to seek help urgently.

Posted by: Health Worker | 2012-04-08

Although im not a dr per se but a health worker(clinician),the differential diagnosis there may be:?meningitis,?cerebral malaria but my dear seek urgent medical attention from the other doctor for a second opinion,but remain calm so that u have strength to seek HELP URGENTLY.Hoping for the BEST.GOOD LUCK

Reply to Health Worker