Posted by: Concerned | 2010-07-22

Sick (flu) while breastfeeding...

Hi. I am asking this on behalf of my wife...
She gave birth almost 4 months ago. She is breastfeeding. However, she became sick about 4 days ago. Has terrible flu and coughs all the time. We have been to the pharmacist who just says that there is NOTHING she can take, because she is breastfeeding. Is there really nothing at all that my wife can take in order to ease her pain? She struggles very much and it hurts me to see her in this condition.

She can take Panado and Benylin cough syrup.

hi. my baby is 3months old and i am breastfeeding i have a terrible flu and i took corenza c. i just found out it is bad for my baby cause it passes through my breast milk. How long does it stay in my system and what can i do before breastfeeding.

Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-07-25

Posted by: Concerned | 2010-07-22

Thank you so much for the info! Really appreciate it!

Reply to Concerned
Posted by: Ruby | 2010-07-22

She can take some natural things: Echinacea is safe and will boost her immune system. Vitamin C boosts the immune system, Eating garlic or taking a garlic supplement fights the bug. She can drink a tea made from fresh ginger (chop it up &  pour boiling water over it &  let stand for 5 - 10 minutes). Add honey &  fresh lemon juice. Drin it hot: it tastes lovely &  really soothes coughs &  sore throats.

For the congestion she can try salt water - try a neti pot or sniffing it. She can also try steaming with eucalyptus or tea tree oil (put hot water in a bowl, put in 2 - 3 drops in the hot water. Lean over bowl and cover head &  bowl with a towel, making a tent - inhale for at least 5 minutes.

My gran used to make a great cough remedy which sounds awful but works like a charm (I stil use it): chop an onion finely and pack in layers with sugar or honey in a jar. Seal and leave to stand overnight. Drain the liquid into another jar and take a tanlespoon of the liquid as needed. Tastes a bit odd but it helps and it''s safe.

Reply to Ruby
Posted by: Purple | 2010-07-22

She can take panado for the general aches and pains.
She can suck on halls to ease her throat from the coughing or even try some of the hot toddy lozenges for children (they have zinc and echinacea in them), they will be soothing and won''t cause a problem while breastfeeding.

IF her nose is running or painful, there is a saline spray called ocean chamoflor that is very soothing, and also putting her head over a steaming basin of water will help.

What she can''t do is take anything with antihisthamine in it as this will dry up her milk.
She also can''t take anything with aspirin in it like corenza c or disprin as this will pass through her milk to baby and is not healthy for baby.

Baby will get antibodies from the breast milk so shouldn''t get the flu from your wife, but she should wash her hands regularly just to reduce the chances further.

Reply to Purple